Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sometimes these things still hurt

This was written by my cousin Emily....I wanted to share with some readers who follow my blog because I think it is such an important message to share!!

I was reading an article this morning about a discovery about what may trigger Autism. In this article they interview a scientist about this discovery. Here is part of his quote

"But doctors say that now is the time to start debating if having a prenatal test for autism would be desirable, even if it was scientifically possible. "There is a test for Down's syndrome and that is legal and parents exercise their right to choose termination, but autism is often linked with talent. It is a different kind of condition," said lead researcher Professor Simon Baron-Cohen in The Guardian."

He later adds

"What would we lose if children with autistic spectrum disorder were eliminated from the population?" he asked.


At first I read this and was instantly angered. How dare this man make an assumption on who deserves life and who doesn't. We should save kids with Autism because they generally have a unique talent, unlike Down Syndrome (he says)? So in his mind, he had no question to parents aborting their babies with Down Syndrome because they are apparently talentless....they perhaps won't contribute enough to society to let them live.

Then however, my anger subsided to pure sadness. I know and understand that in this fallen world we live in, there are many people that think that Logan shouldn't be here, many people have said (and yes some to my face) that allowing him to be born was us mooching off the government and I quote of the man who said this in my earshot "All those retards are good for are cleaning up my mess and mowing my lawn". I get that people think that way. While it hurts to hear those words, I understand we live in a fallen world with fallen people. Most of the time I can let those comments roll off my back and just let it go. But every once in a while I will come across an article like this one and it still just 'gets me'. I wish everyone knew the joy Logan gives us, I wish I could shout from the rooftops that our lives aren't miserable because he's here. While he might not ever do anything that society deems as 'good enough to have a right to life', that is not my goal for him. My goal for him is the same as my other boys, to grow to be a Man of God. God can and will use Logan in mighty ways, they may be small quiet ways, but while Logan is here in earth, God will use him for his glory. While I know those types of articles won't ever pop up on Google or Yahoo, it would be nice to sometimes see the secular world show Down Syndrome in a positive light.

Anyway, I'll step off my soapbox now. I am forever thankful for our family, friends, and church family who have accepted Logan for who God created him to be. They see his uniqueness and love him all the more for it. They know that God will use and already has used Logan in mighty ways, all for the Glory of God.
Posted by Emily V at 11:17 AM
5 comments:
Audrey said...
Ugh, that gets to me too. I work with a girl that has an Autism Spectrum disorder, and I LOVE her. She genuinely brings a smile to my face everyday at school, and acts as though she doesn't have a care in the world.

She is still young enough that she doesn't realize that her peers sometimes make fun of her, and I dread the day that she starts understanding. We try to explain to them while they are young that she is just as much part of the class as anybody else, and nobody likes to be laughed at.

And we love Logan too! I missed seeing him at Christmas!

January 13, 2009 1:46 PM
Anonymous said...
This breaks my heart at so many levels. It's hard for me to think about MY "baby" having to hear these things about her child. It's hard for me to think about my grandchildren having to hear these things about their sibling. It's hard to think about Logan growing up in a society that thinks he has no worth as a human being. I do know that you and Todd are doing an amazing job not only with Logan, but also with Zach and Aiden to help them know how to respond. You all are amazing! And we love you all to pieces.

January 13, 2009 2:56 PM
Logan's Great Uncle Brian said...
It really boils down to what you believe about God doesn't it? He is either sovereign or He is not. To believe the latter is no belief at all.
Unfortunately too many people profess to know God but have no trust in Him that He is in total control of absolutely every event that occurs. Logan is fearfully and wonderfully made.
It just occurred to me that Logan will probably never make fun of anyone, will never judge anyone, and will probably never question God for creating him just as he is.
Hmmm...who's better off?
We can all learn more about God by watching His handiwork with this little guy.

January 13, 2009 7:29 PM
thesawhooks said...
You said Logan "Can and Will" be used of God...but he is already!! Look how many lives he touches now...and he's only 3!!! We are ALL blessed in sharing in Logan's life!!! You're right....the anger went to immediate sadness!

January 14, 2009 4:55 AM
Emily V said...
Thanks guys! All your comments really mean a lot! I praise God daily for being totally sovereign.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for posting this here Rachel! Love you lots!!! {{HUGS}}

The G's said...

Very well written. Thanks for sharing.

The Caldwells said...

Thanks for sharing. May God continue to give this family the wisdom and grace to deal with people, who because they don't know God personally, say such ignorant things.